The common questions frequently asked by people:
Is being legally compliant to this act necessary?
it’s now mandatory for every Employer to establish an Internal Complaint Committee for a workplace, consisting of ten or more employees
What if I don't make it and continue what has been happening?
(1) If the employer fails to-
- Constitute an Internal Committee under section 4;
- Take action under sections 13, 14 and 22;
He shall be punishable with fine which may extend to fifty thousand rupees.
(2) If any employer, after having been previously convicted of an offence punishable under this act subsequently commits and is convicted of the same offence, he shall be liable to-
- Twice the punishment, which might have been imposed on a first conviction;
- Cancellation, of his license by the government or local authority required for carrying on his business or activity;
How will this ICC help the company?
All the cases related to sexual harassment in any company are handled by the company's ICC. Proceedings will remain private (i.e. between company and the concerned law authorities) and if a woman directly approaches police or court she will be directed back to the respective ICC first. If the Company is fully compliant of the provisions then the employer will not face any legal action.
Have more questions?
Don't worry, we are there to answer them.